SEFI is a not-for-profit organization whose purpose is to encourage and assist young people to become scientists and engineers and to practice their professions in Indiana. The membership of the Board of Directors is composed of volunteers from industry, the not-for-profit sector, and academia who are committed to enhancing science education in Indiana. Our mission statement is embodied in deliverable outcomes.
Specifically, the youth of our state are encouraged and assisted through the following activities.
- Financing the Hoosier Science and Engineering Fair
- Providing financial support for Indiana students and teachers while they attend the Intel International Science Fair
- Conducting "how to" science fair workshops for Indiana teachers
- Soliciting scholarships and awards from Indiana colleges and universities for science fair participants
- Connecting science students to Indiana colleges and universities
- Providing Science Fair information/resources to teachers, parents and students in Indiana
- Supporting the regional science fairs in Indiana
SEFI since 1965: Reliable and Investing in Indiana's Youth
Although SEFI is not a household word in Indiana, we are well acquainted with the over 1,000 Indiana students who were sent by our organization to the International Science Fair over a 30-year period. A recent survey of previous fair alumni revealed that many of these young adults are practicing their professions here in Indiana. SEFI is a solid foundation investing in Indiana's future. Being a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit Indiana corporation, SEFI maintains a financial structure which supports the International fair travel of the 26 state finalists, their teachers, and Regional Science Fair Directors. The trust department at Bank One, Indianapolis, Indiana provides professional investment management for our portfolio. Our mission is also dependent upon a continuing corporate and individual philanthropy program to support the growing Hoosier Science and Engineering Fair and the achievement programs. Reaching our goals will strengthen science education in Indiana, and create linkages and opportunities for Indiana companies.